Special Issue: Diageo Live Reports from


Dear Client:

"It is clear that chaos continues, but there are signs of hope." So writes Diageo NA evp Guy Smith in an internal memo regarding Diageo's humanitarian relief efforts in Haiti after the devastating earthquake there last week. Diageo is delivering more than 45,000 pounds of food and emergency supplies as a part of its Spirit of the Americas Humanitarian Aid program. You may recall your editor traveled to Iraq several years ago with Diageo, but let me tell you, the hardships and heartaches appear to be worse in Haiti -- much worse. The supplies include basic medical care, beans, rice, cooking oil and Ensure. Diageo also holds a minority stake in Braisserie Nationale d'Haiti S.A. that employs 1,300 people and brews Guinness and distributes their spirits brands. That brewery is in disarray, and the damage is still being assessed.

Meanwhile, Diageo's team is busy on the ground in Port-au-Prince getting much needed supplies distributed. Diageo-Guinness was kind enough to share the up-to-the-minute email reports from their senior vp communications, Jon Pageler, who describes in dramatic detail just how bad it is there, as well as some signs of hope. BBD excerpts from his emails [Ed Note: Jon was not aware that his emails were to be published so please disregard syntax].

Day 1, January 16

"Back inside the wire [at the airport, literally on the tarmac]. Made a house of beans & vegetable oil. Will sleep on beds made of bags of rice 2night. Dumas, where the Salvation Army mission is located, is in a very poor neighborhood that was very badly damaged. Mission is housing about 80 refuge families. Still many bodies in the street although most are covered with sheets. The s mell of decomposition is beginning to take hold. Massive fabric shanty towns have sprung up all over the city. Airport much better controlled now. Planes are getting in, even at night. Carrier (at least what it looked like flying in) off our shore...... Haitians united. Big march today in solidarity, filled with song, emotion and resolve. Food and medical relief will soon be reaching many more."

Day 2, January 18:

"Long day today. Made much longer by the fact that oversized military craft were idling next to us all night. Not just idling, but since things were moving so fast they never powered down. Some of the guys found an open door to the jetway we built our fort under and slept there. They seemed much more rested than us. They are sleeping there now......

"Many countries are here. Dom Rep, Canada, Brazil, France, Germany, UK - to name just a few. Tomorrow we will take a picture of their base camps with their color coded tents and uniforms. The news media is all here as well.... Combine island time with poor to non-existant telecommunications and, well, you get the picture. By noon we were loading World Food Program trucks in bucket brigade fashion, enabling us to move nearly 15 tons of materials in just over an hours time. Once the trucks were loaded we travelled via convoy to the UN compound and home to the WFP's distribution center for inventory and repackaging. We will be making deliveries tomorrow, with a focus on the affected families of NGO workers. The Spirit of Americas has worked with the WFP before, both in Kabul and Bagdad and they have proven to be a great partner in these situations.....

"Early in the evening the night before we got word of an orphanage that was really in need. We had directions and drivers at the ready to get us there but at the last minute the orphanage pulled the plug. They felt that the situation outside the gates was too severe to risk bringing food in, despite the dire need of the children. Then we heard that CNN did a profile piece on the orphanage's situation and soon after our attempts to communicate with them became extremely difficult. Their email was jammed and the already hopeless cell service had become non existent. But our Bridge Foundation cohort back in Miami managed to get things back on track and after many fits and starts they managed to get a driver down to us. You could see the look of appreciation on their faces - they brought several volunteers to help load the truck. Hopefully we will be able to visit that orphanage at some point in the future."

Day 3, January 18:

"Morning started as did the day before, waiting. Part of that is probably due to the fact that we are up with the sun, just prior to 6am. Better spirits prevail though, as satellite phones are proving much more reliable. We have our Emergency Health Kit (EHK), roughly 400lbs - according to the manifest - of WHO pre-packaged medical supplies. We've also noticed other EHKs, with their distinctive banded color coding, coming in as well.

"By 9am we've learned that our other party will be arriving later this evening and that another EHK is enroute. We've also learned that our partner on the medical side, International Medical Corp (IMC), will be arriving shortly to pick up supplies.

"We've secured an SUV, a left over rental from Channel 10 News out of Miami. Our contacts from the World Food Program have also provided us with a driver, Edward, who is the driver and security for the operations director of the airport.

"IMC showed up relatively on time with two trucks which we loaded and brought the bulk of the Health Kits to their warehouse, an operational bakery just east of the center of the city. In a sign of the need for ingenuity, after another truck proved too big to make it through the gates of the bakery some local kids helped chip away at the entrance with hammers until the truck was able to make the corner.

"After the delivery, the baker was gracious enough to offer us fresh bread. While the rolls were good, our intake was limited as we have now taken to eating MREs, which, based on calorie content, are clearly designed to feed extremely active young men and women. I'm neither of those so let's just say I'll have to reset my new years resolutions.

"From this makeshift warehouse we travelled to the main hospital in the center of town. It was here that the complexion of the trip changed dramatically. Prior to heading through the center of town, we were primarily on its perimeter, and mostly on the tarmac. We'd seen a bit of the destruction to both the infrastructure and to human life but I don't think any of us were prepared for what followed.

"Despite our being encamped with the media we have not seen any of the footage on TV since Wednesday or Thursday. We've been able to read some of the stories online and it is fairly easy to pick up what angle the media is pushing based on the questions they ask us, and frankly, it had made us, or at least me, somewhat sceptical of their reporting. For example I believe (in fact we know because we've done some if it) that aid is actually getting dispersed and we all think (as do many of the aid providers) that the reports of looting and of convoys getting jumped are exaggerated. I'm sure there are incidents but I am also sure they are isolated. This doesn't mean that we don't take real precautions - we have security when we travel outside of the tarmac and we travel in groups or mini convoys. But our trip out today showed numerous instances of water tankers dispersing fresh water to long lines of people carrying their 5 gallon buckets. And in every instance people were orderly and waiting patiently. Granted this was a very small subsegment and we were only in Port au Prince but still, it was different than what we had been led to expect.

"In cutting through town, often on back roads because many of the major arteries are impassable, the scale of the devastation truly hit home. Concrete, the building material of choice here, homes and buildings too numerous to count, are completely demolished. Some reduced to complete rubble, some knocked off of their foundation with a wall or two missing, some pancaked as if you took the support beams out from a parking garage - each floor clearly distinguishable with no space between. It goes without saying that there would be no way to survive that. And this scene repeats itself over and over again. Yet, there are some areas, that are relatively untouched, which only brings home the arbitrary nature of it all.

"The path through the city takes us past the governmental section of town, which is in ruins. From the capital or palace, to the central church, to all of the official government buildings. All completely gone or so severely damaged that they will have to be bulldozed.

"Still this does not prepare us for the scene at the central hospital. It was grim. The smell of the dead and the dying hung in the air like humidity. I'm not trying to be clever with words, that was precisely the sensation. The morgue was down the street and we were told, overfilled. When patients would die they would be brought out of the hospital and walked down the street and placed on the sidewalk. Not out of inhumanity but out of necessity. Needless to say, the situation inside the hospital was similarly desperate.

"The first box of meds we brought in was opened on the spot and quickly utilized, literally as we were unloading more. Which, while rewarding, only brought home the fact that despite all the efforts we had made to get these medical kits here, the magnitude of the need would mean that we'd only be scratching the surface. An important scratch I realize, and one that will hopefully be replicated a thousand times over, by other organizations and by other governments.

"I don't want to end on a sour note, because there were some tremendous positives to the day. First of all, this first batch of medical assistance is, according to the WHO who put the kits together, supposed to supply the basic medical needs for 10,000 people for 90 days. And we are expecting another shipment tomorrow.

"And despite the circumstances, all is not despair. There still is a sense of hope here. You can see it in the eyes of a little girl who breaks out in a smile when you catch her staring at you because you are different. You can feel it from the young street vendor who gives you a grinfull and a thumbs up when you pass by in a car and, most poignant for me, the wink you receive from a woman lying in a hospital cot as you're carrying a box of supplies to her doctor.

"There is much more to write but it is late. The other party has arrived and brought tents, which we've pitched on the grass near the search and rescue teams. This should make for a more restful sleep, something I should get some of for we have an early start again in the morning."

Ed. Note: All I can add to that is: wow. As you can see, it's a tough situation down there. Kudos to Diageo for their humanitarian relief efforts.

Until tomorrow, Harry

"For one man who can stand prosperity, there are a hundred that will stand adversity."
-Thomas Carlyle

Make yourself heard, your opinions count. Feedback and tipster form: http://www.beernet.com/hotline.php

--------- Sell Day Calendar ----------
Today's Sell Day: 12
Sell days this month: 20
Sell days this month last year: 21
This month ends on a: Fri.
This month last year ended on a: Fri.
YTD sell days Over/Under: 0

Anonymous News Hotline: http://www.beernet.com/hotline.php

THE BEER INDUSTRY SUMMIT to be held February 28 to March 1, 2010 near Phoenix at the Wildhorse Resort. More information here: http://www.beernet.com/about_beersummit.php

(c) 2010 BeerNet Communications, Inc. - All rights reserved. Please, no forwarding or copying. May quote with attribution. Individual subscriptions $480/year. Corporate rates available.
Editor: Harry Schuhmacher - hs@beernet.com Assistant Editor: Megan Metcalf - megan@beernet.com

Check beernet.com for back issues or to subscribe or renew. Phone: 210-805-8006. Email: admin@beernet.com

SchuPub, LLC, 601 E. Ashby Place, San Antonio, TX 78212, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:

Go back to listing Go to next article Go to previous article

Top Secret News Hotline:

Got beer news for BBD?

Submit Anonymously
twitter facebook